Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Calming Effect

 In an effort to "carve myself out of the wall", I have to change my thinking as well.  In a previous post, I mentioned being an introvert.  This is a quality that I've never liked about myself.  I wished I could have been more of that out-going, boisterous, "life of the party" kind of person, but being shy and  slow to speak made that wish impossible.  Sunday, after church, I was talking to a set of twin teenaged young ladies and they made the comment that I was "so calm".  "You know, peaceful," they said.  This wasn't the first time I had heard this comment about myself but never really thought about it until later in the day.  It occurred to me that being "calm" was a good thing and that it was actually the outward display of being an introvert.

Earlier that day, Pastor Jeffrey A. Johnson, was the guest preacher at our church and he talked about turning your disadvantage into an advantage because "our disadvantage is the difference that will make the difference."  For so long, I felt that being an introvert was a disadvantage and that has kept me from going farther in life.  However, if I were to change my thinking and see it as "being calm", then my entire approach to pursuing my dreams would have to be different.  I will call it "The Calming Effect".

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it to my advantage....

~ Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment